Mum prepares 74 meals and 56 snacks for $130 – that includes breakfast meals your kids will love!
Mum-of-two Kate is so organised!
With just half a day to meal prep, this amazing mum has whipped up 130 meals for $130 – that’s 18 breakfasts, 28 lunches, 28 dinners and a whopping 56 serves of deliciously healthy snacks! WOW!
(Please note, these prices are based off grocery costs in January 2022).
All these delicious healthy recipes have come straight from the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge.
See what she made below…
What Kate made
Breakfast (18 Serves)
Bacon & Egg Muffins – 6 serves (2x muffins per serve)
Baked Breakfast Bars – 12 Serves (1 per serve)
Lunch (28 Serves)
Pesto, Spinach & Ricotta Rolls – 16 serves
Baked Potato with Ham & Cheese – 4 serves
Bacon Corn & Cheese Loaf – 4 serves
Chicken, Pumpkin & Sesame Rice Paper Rolls – 4 serves.
Dinner (28 Serves)
Easy Fried Rice – 8 serves
Stovetop Beef Lasagne – 6 serves
Kid Friendly Healthy Meat Pie – 6 serves
Curried Beef with Peas – 4 serves
Creamy Chicken & Corn Soup – 4 serves
Snacks (56 Serves)
Caramilk Weet-Bix Slice – 24 serves
Wholemeal Choc Chip Muffins – 12 serves
Pizza Scrolls – 10 serves
Banana Oat & Choc Chip Cookies – 8 serves
All these recipes can be found on the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge.
“I want to be organised for the coming weeks and save some money,” says Kate. “I like to have food on hand, giving me no excuses to choose unhealthy options.
“Also, I want to avoid multiple trips to the supermarket and buying things I do not need! Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks are sorted and there are multiple options for the family to choose from.
“Being busy throughout the day, chasing after the kids, working or having appointments I don’t have stress about getting dinner ready or what are we having for lunch while out. Being organised with prep makes things SO much easier!”
How Kate decided what she was going to make
Because Kate has signed up to the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge she was able to sit down and use the Budget/Timesaver meal plan and the budget filter, chose a bunch of recipes that she thought her family would enjoy.
“I put my meal plan together and BAM, ready to get cooking! Every recipe is from the App and everyone LOVES them!”
Kate’s top tips for meal prepping
- Sit down and choose recipes that you know you and your family will enjoy.
- Pick recipes that have similar ingredients.
- Select recipes that are easily doubled to make more serves.
- Choose recipes that you know will freeze well.
- Use the App shopping list, this tells you the quantity of each ingredient you need.
- Write everything down!
- Have a list written of what you are making, cross things off as you go.
- Always have a rubbish bag to clean up your waste during prep.
- Clean up as you go.
- After each recipe is made and popped in the oven or fridge, clean up the mess/dishes from it and use that for the next recipe.
- This saves SO much time and by the end you won’t have much to clean up at all.
- Label your containers!
- If you forget you may forget what is in each and be weary when you find them in the freezer.
- I use white labels with a marker.
- Let the kids join in: mix some ingredients in, help roll the dough out, sprinkle some ingredients over etc.
- This may make them want to try different foods if they helped make it.
- Put some music on and ENJOY your time in the kitchen!
Kate’s top tips for saving time
- Utilise the app to find recipes with similar ingredients.
- Instead of choosing multiple recipes, choose half the amount and double the recipes.
- Make sure you make room in your fridge/freezer prior to starting!
- Use your kitchen gadgets, if you have a slow cooker add a recipe to make in this, pop it on at the start and it’ll be ready by the time you finish other recipes.
- Use your food processor to chop up items instead of spending lots of time cutting.
- Distract the kids with an icy pole outside or a movie if need be.
- Have multiple recipes on the go at once: One in the slow cooker, two on the stovetop, one in the oven, one snack in the fridge setting and so on.
- While a couple is cooking start popping the already cooked/made in their containers.
- Have containers/bags set out ready to dish recipes up.
Kate’s top tips on saving money on your food shop
- Buy home brand (Woolworths/Coles brand) items, instead of the more expensive known brands.
- Get meat that is on Special, look at different cuts/brands for the cheapest.
- Purchase marked down goods.
- Shop the specials, check catalogs to see where items are cheapest.
- Write/print out the shopping list and only allow yourself to buy what is on it, take a pen to cross items off.
- If you can, shop online so you don’t find yourself grabbing extras!
How Kate got back on track with her weight loss
When Kate was faced with the dilemma of either throwing out her favourite jeans that were too small, or doing something about her health and weight, she opted to get on top of her weight loss goals!
Kate was determined to see herself wearing those jeans, and so with the Healthy Mummy App in hand, she has smashed her goals, losing over 9 kilos and now wearing the jeans with pride!
“I feel SO good! I am no longer ashamed to look at myself in the mirror”
Last year, Kate was upset at having to give in and start buying larger clothes as the bigger clothes in her wardrobe were getting tight! She also found a few items of clothing that she had bought without trying them on. When she discovered once she got home that they were actually too small, she packed them away hoping that one day she’d fit into them.
“I was going through my cupboard and thought do I throw them out? But instead I told myself enough was enough, I took pictures of myself in them, as far as I could get them up.. and told myself no, I have to try my best, I want to see myself in these! So I made this a goal.”
Fast forward 5 months and by following the 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge and using the Healthy Mummy App, as well as using the Healthy Mummy Smoothies, Kate has absolutely smashed that goal! She’s down 9.2kgs and has lost 39.5 cm from her body.
“Is there a better feeling than trying on jeans that have never fit and have them pull right up? I do not think so!”
“I feel SO good! I am no longer ashamed to look at myself in the mirror, I am really liking what I see and I don’t have to stress about what I am going to wear each day. I am comfortable in my body again and it is the BEST feeling!”
Kate has incorporated the Healthy Mummy Smoothies into her weight loss and now maintenance routine having one everyday for breakfast.
“My current favourite is the Biscoff Smoothie, in the Healthy Mummy App – YUM!”
Kate also uses some other key Healthy Mummy products that have helped her lose weight. She uses:
- Smoothie Booster
- Carb X
- Choc Peanut Snack bars (my daily go to!)
- Metabolism support
- Apple Cider Vinegar Tablets
She is also a BIG FAN of the Healthy Mummy’s Skin Range.
Kate has also found that by upping her exercise had been really good for her mental health.
“I find that doing regular App workouts is incredible for my mental health, I feel fantastic afterwards and it really keeps me going. I have noticed my fitness is improving too!”
Since losing the weight, and getting back into her favourite clothes, Kate is feeling AMAZING!
“I am actually proud of myself and can’t believe I found the determination to smash my goals!!”