Aunts are like your mum (they may look similar) but are so much more fun!
In fact, an expert says they may be just as important in helping raise daughters as mothers are.
Aunties may be as important as mums when it comes to raising women
In an interview podcast for ABC’s Parental As Anything, Steve Biddulph, the author of Raising Girls and 10 Things Girls Need Most, stresses that aunties play a pivotal role in raising women.
Teenage girls are impressional and may suffer with anxiety as they find their place in the world.
Sometimes they may feel like they can’t talk to their mums about what they are experiencing.
Buddulph said on the podcast: “They don’t want to listen to you but they still need someone to listen to.”
Some mothers may be too emotionally connected and protective when it comes to talking to their daughters about some issues, such as boys and sex.
Whereas aunties are often more approachable and pragmatic when it comes to discussing these sensitive topics.
Were you close to your aunt? Do you feel she’s shaped you as a person?
10 ways aunts play a special role in their niece or nephew’s life:
1. They never miss a chance to hang out
If they had plans when you suggest to meet up, chances are they’ll cancel them in order to hang out with their niece or nephew.
2. They’re super affectionate
They love like a mother. Aunts are often super cuddly. You’re guaranteed to get the best hugs from your aunt.
3. She’s there for your kids when they can’t go to their parents
Growing up, your children may feel like they don’t want to go to you about certain things.
But if they have a cool auntie they can confide in, then they will. Rest assured they’re getting awesome advice from an adult who you trust.
4. They’re a fun baby sitter
Aunts make great baby sitters. They actually want to spend time with your children, so you won’t feel guilty about going out or not paying them!
5. They’re there at every special occasion
Christmas, birthdays, weddings… Kids are always going to remember their aunt being there playing with them, dancing with them or sometimes embarrassing them!
6. They often give your children cousins to play with
Aunts usually have kids of their own, giving your brood awesome cousins to play with. Ready made friends are always a win.
7. She gets your children thoughtful gifts
Guaranteed nieces and nephews get good, useful pressies from their aunt.
8. They remind your little ones what you were like growing up
You may have forgotten what you were like as a youth, but guaranteed auntie remembers. It’s not always a good thing!
9. She can be an ally
Not everyone sees eye to eye, and you will find this to be true at times with your children. Aunts can step in and be a great ally to you or your kids. It’s always good to have a mediator at times.
10. They are great role models
The more good people in your child’s life, the better.
Connect with other like-minded women in our Healthy Mummy Community
When women support each other incredible things happen. With over 1.1 million like-minded mums who can offer daily support to the Healthy Mummy members our social footprint is LARGE!
All our private groups are moderated every hour by our professional staff, to ensure a safe and non-judgemental environment.
Join our huge communities with hundreds and thousands of mums just like you. We have lots of closed Healthy Mummy Facebook groups to suit you, including:
There are OVER 1.1 million mums across our social communities!!
Here are all our PRIVATE groups
- WEIGHT LOSS Support Group – this is our BIGGEST group with over 110,000 mums in
- 28 DAY CHALLENGE KICK START Support Group
- LOSING BIG NUMBERS Support Group
- PREGNANCY Support Group
- NEW MUMS Support Group
- FOOD LOVERS Support Group
- FASHION Support Group
- Our Consultant Support groups
Here are all our Facebook Public pages
- The Healthy Mummy Page – go here
- The New Mums Page – go here
- The Kids Page – go here
- The Cooking & Recipes Page – go here
- The Pregnancy Page – go here
- The Fitness Page – go here
- The New Mums Page – go here
- The Lose Baby Weight Page – go here
- The 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge Page – go here
Here are our Instagram and Pinterest pages
Find the right Healthy Mummy Community for you!