Choice Australia put 22 well known Greek yoghurt brands to the test based on taste, fat levels and protein levels.
And the award goes to…
This is the best tasting Greek yoghurt in Australia
Protein is probably the defining nutrient of Greek yoghurt, as traditionally it was strained which concentrated its protein (and therefore its overall nutrient) content, Choice states.
Taste and texture accounted for 85% of the score while appearance accounted for 10% and aroma, 5 %. The experts tasted the yoghurt samples blind (without knowing the brands) in a randomised order.
The top 3 brands
1. Coles Greek Style Natural Yoghurt
“Smooth and glossy appearance. Clean flavour, good body. Very smooth, indulgent and creamy. Pleasant upfront acid balanced with creamy profile. Really clean finish. Nice!” the experts said.
2. Farmers Union Greek Style All Natural Yoghurt
The experts says, “good, clean flavour. Smooth and glossy appearance. Thick, creamy texture and mouthfeel. Really creamy taste with a nice balance of acidity and citrusy aftertaste.”
3. Tamar Valley Greek Style All Natural Yoghurt
“Glossy, shiny appearance and a nice, clean aroma. Good, full body with smooth, thick texture. Moderate to high acid which is pleasant and stands up against the fat,” said the experts.
Try this yummy recipe (pictured below) Chocolate berry layer cake that calls for Greek yoghurt!
The complete Greek yoghurt scores
1. Coles Greek Style Natural Yoghurt (Score: 86)
2. Farmers Union Greek Style All Natural Yogurt (Score: 83)
3. Tamar Valley Greek Style All Natural Yoghurt (Score: 82)
4. Woolworths Natural Greek Style Yoghurt (Score: 79)
5. Chobani Greek Yogurt Plain Whole Milk (Score: 78)
6. Coles Light Greek Style Natural Yoghurt (Score: 78)
7. Lyttos (Aldi) Greek Style Natural Yogurt Thick & Creamy (Score: 78)
8. Dairy Farmers Greek Style Natural Yogurt (Score: 75)
9. Tamar Valley Light Greek Style All Natural Yoghurt (Score: 75)
10. Evia Greek Strained Yoghurt Natural No Added Sugar (Score: 74)
11. Lyttos (Aldi) Greek Style Natural Yogurt Pot Set (Score: 73)
12. Farmers Union Greek Style All Natural Yogurt Light (Score: 71)
13. ProCal Authentic Greek Natural Yoghurt (Score: 71)
14. Five:am Organic Greek Style Yoghurt (Score: 70)
15. Black Swan Greek Style Yoghurt (Score: 69)
16. Chobani Greek Yogurt Plain (Score: 68)
17. Jalna Pot Set Greek Yoghourt Natural (Score: 68)
18. Lyttos (Aldi) Lite Greek Style Natural Yogurt (Score: 65)
19. Jalna Pot Set Greek Yoghourt Low Fat (Score: 68)
20. Easiyo Unsweetened Greek Style (A) (Score: 57)
21. Black Swan Low Fat Greek Style Yoghurt (Score: 54)
22. Woolworths 99% Fat Free Pot Set Greek Style Yoghurt (Score: 53)
If you love yoghurt – then you have GOT to check out our recipe for Yoghurt berry mini cheesecakes (pictured below).
Greek yoghurt and it’s health benefits are all part of a healthy and balanced diet, so to get the most out of yours you may want to follow a healthy meal plan.
Did you know The Healthy Mummy is all about helping mums lose weight and get healthy?
Our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge has over 4,000 healthy, family-friendly recipes and more than 350 exercises and 24/7 support from fellow mums to help you achieve your goals.
You can get a FREE taste of our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge with this exercise and recipe sampler here.