Irritable bowel syndrome or IBS, is a condition that can cause abdominal discomfort, bloating and constipation.
IBS affects one in five Australians. However, the exact causes of it is unknown, claims Health Direct. However, this doctor believes she may be onto what causes this troubling tummy discomfort.
The Link Between Thrush And IBS
According to Dr. Sarah Brewer, author of Overcoming Candida, there’s a link between thrush and IBS.
“One theory is that the presence of Candida yeasts may trigger immune responses that result in intestinal symptoms similar to those of food intolerances,” she says.
“An astounding 178 different proteins that can trigger immune reactions have been identified in Candida species, including proteins in their outer wall and the enzymes they secrete.
“Although their role is unclear, a review published in the European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology suggested this might explain why intestinal symptoms can worsen after eating mould-containing foods.”
She says that many people suffering with IBS also experience recurrent Candida infections.
“It might also explain why many people with IBS – and those with recurrent vaginal Candida – find probiotic supplements so helpful,” she adds.
“Probiotic bacteria secrete lactic acid which suppresses yeast growth, and also compete for available nutrients and attachment sites on intestinal walls.
“Probiotics also reinoculate the bowel with friendly digestive bacteria and suppress the gas-forming bacteria that have been associated with some cases of irritable bowel syndrome.”
Symptoms Of IBS
- Recurring diarrhoea or constipation.
- Bloating and cramping.
- Abdominal pain or discomfort that is relieved by passing wind or going to the bathroom.
- Symptoms in women are worse around menstrual cycle.
How To Ease The Symptoms Of IBS
- Work out.
- Relax (stress is believed to cause your intestines to flare up).
- Eat foods that are high in fibre like beans, green veggies and fruit.
- Eat less diary.
If you believe you are suffering from IBS, we advise you speak with your GP .
IBSclinic.org.au is a free online mental health service for people with IBS and associated psychological distress.
Did You Know Our Healthy Mummy Smoothies Are High In Fibre?
Natural ingredients in our smoothies help you to feel fuller for longer as well as helping to avoid over eating, eating large meals or having too many snacks in between meals. They also help your digestion as well as bulking the stool & aiding bowel eliminations.
Ingredients Included In Our Smoothies
- Rice bran fibre – a highly fibre ingredient
- Apple pectin – a source of soluble fibre that forms gel naturally
- Cellulose – major component of cell wall in plants
- Inulin – a natural vegetable fibre
- Flaxseed meal – healthy fats (omega 3 fatty acids) & high fibre making it an ideal ingredient for post birth nourishment
- Pumpkin seed meal – adds bulk to assist a sense of fullness & contains a high level of essential fatty acids, protein, zinc & iron.
- Psyllium husks – a water-soluble fibre and excellent for digestionProtein For Health & Weight Loss
Herbs Included For Your Health
When you are following a weight loss plan, certain herbs can help to maintain a feeling of wellbeing and health.
- Fenugreek -Provides carbohydrates, dietary fibre, fats and minerals like iron, calcium and phosphorous and supports the milk supply for breastfeeding mothers
- Dandelion root – helps absorption of nutrients in your smoothie and rich in Vitamin A,C and B2, iron and calcium
- Ginger root – a spice often used to add heat to meals while soothing the stomach and can help the metabolism
As part of a healthy eating and weight loss diet, foods which are Low GI help to release glucose more slowly which leads to a more stable blood glucose level.
It is accelerant and filler FREE
We are proud to say that our Healthy Mummy Smoothie is free from any fillers and weight loss accelerators. Many many weight loss shakes contain fillers and weight loss accelerants to trick your body into short term – and unhealthy weight loss. These artificial fillers make your tummy feel temporarily full are not natural and the long term effects are not known. They can also lead to a lot of the side effects associated with ‘shakes’.
It contains whole foods
The Healthy Mummy Smoothie contains wholefoods and over 24 vitamins and minerals. The product is high quality and every ingredient in the smoothie has been included to be a benefit to your health.
To purchase your smoothies, click here.