Eggplants are a brilliant source of B vitamins and folate which is great for women, especially if you’re lean on the red meat front. This Stuffed Eggplant recipe is a great addition to your healthy eating plan.
They are also in season at the moment so are a decent price in the supermarket.
This meal is delicious and a great addition to your healthy eating plan, or even your weight loss plan.
Stuffed Eggplant recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 2 medium eggplants cut in half
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 spring onions
- 2 cups of pearl barley
- 4 tbs of reduced-fat ricotta
- 1 can of diced tomato
- 2 tbs of tomato paste
- ½ cup of reduced-sodium chicken stock
- 4 tbs of parmesan cheese
- 1 tbs of oil
- In a pan, heat the oil and cook the crush garlic and onion until soft.
- Scoop out the insides of the eggplant, chop it up and pop it in the pan.
- While this is cooking, start cooking you pearl barley as per the packet instructions.
- When the eggplant starts to soften add in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken stock and ricotta and cook on a medium heat for around 5-10 minutes.
- When the pearl barley is cooked, drain and add to the eggplant mixture on the stove. Stir it through.
- On a lined tray, place the open-cut eggplants hollow side up. Fill them evenly with the pearl barley/eggplant mixture.
- Top with grated parmesan.
- Place them in a 200-degree oven for 30 minutes.
Enjoy the meal
310 calories per serve
If you are ready to lose weight then The Healthy Mummy plans offer a healthy and safe exercise and diet routine that are safe if you are breastfeeding