As we are approaching summer, I have noticed a lot more advertisements for weight loss programs and how to lose weight in 5 days. Some of these programs revolve around various methods of detoxing the body.
Professionally I am incredibly sceptical of not only the weight loss benefits of detoxing programs but also the health benefits of them.
Why do I not like them?
1. The weight loss is not long term. The most difficult thing with weight loss is actually keeping it off. The weight loss associated with detoxing is not sustainable and it is often a result of water loss from the body, rather than fat loss.
2. Our body has its own self cleansing mechanisms. Our bodies are constantly detoxifying themselves. Our lungs, kidneys, liver, skin, gastrointestinal tract and immune system all have roles in eliminating the toxins from our bodies 24/7.
3. Detox programs often take drastic measures. Some detox programs suggest restricting food in entirety or eliminating whole food groups such as dairy or meat. If you feel you need to give your liver a break, first try by reducing or cutting your intake of alcohol, caffeine, saturated fats and excess sugar. This is something you will be able to sustain for longer without any detriment to your long term health.
4. Extreme detox programs should not be used breastfeeding. It is incredibly important that if you are breastfeeding that you consume a wide range of macro and micro-nutrients to support the growth of your baby. You need an addition of 300-500 calories a day while breastfeeding to support lactation. If you would like to lose some weight while breastfeeding have a look at our Healthy Mummy Range which are safe to consume while breastfeeding.
5. Detox programs do no teach you a healthy lifestyle. The most important learning curve when losing some weight is to learn about a healthy eating and exercise program. These two things will keep your lifestyle healthy for a lot longer than a quick ‘fix’ like some of the detox programs are.
They say that habits are made after around month. A plan like our 28 day plan has been used by thousands of mothers who have learned the basic healthy eating principles again. You can see on our website some of their amazing stories and testimonials.
6. Detox programs can become a cycle of purging. Binging and yo-yo dieting are not ideal for our bodies and health. A detox program almost promotes the idea that you are able to binge for a period of time on unhealthy foods and drinks and then cure it with a detox program. This is not a healthy lifestyle and not one which is beneficial for your body or your organs such as you liver.
The best way to lead a healthy lifestyle is by following a healthy eating plan which contains all the foods groups and one which is full of fruit, vegetables, legumes, wholegrains, lean meats, fish, poultry (protein alternatives) and dairy (or alternatives).
A healthy lifestyle or weight loss is maintained by a sensible diet and exercise program and a lifestyle which can be sustained each day for your whole life.
A healthy lifestyle is not one which is speckled with drastic one week detox programs consuming copious amounts of lemon and water or the likes.
If you do want to cleanse your body and feel slugging I recommend following the 28 Day Plan or using the 3 Day Cleanse Plan in the Summer Cookbook which is a nourishing and nutrient dense plan which will have you feeling fantastic without the side effects of a traditional detox plan
Mandy Dos Santos, Nutritionist
If you are ready to lose weight then The Healthy Mummy plans offer a healthy and safe exercise and diet routine that are safe if you are breastfeeding.