Fitbits can track pretty much everything – your sleep patterns, your step count and your floors climbed. But Ava, a Fitbit style wristband, is about to go above and beyond, especially for couples trying to conceive.
While there have been ovulation trackers on the market for years, they all require you to pee on a stick to determine your most fertile days.
But Ava is about to change that.
You can ditch the pee stick with Ava
Ava is a Fitbit-style watch that tracks a woman’s fertility and ovulation times. The device looks like your traditional wristband and detects the subtle changes in a woman’s body that occur when she is about to ovulate (a slight change in skin temperature and resting heart rate, for example). Ava tracks nine different variables which change slightly throughout the menstrual cycle.
As explained by the inventors of the device, “Instead of telling you the time of day, Ava tells you when to have sex to make a baby.”
The result? A surprisingly accurate way to help boost your chances of conceiving.
How accurate is it?
An early study suggests Ava is pretty awesome at her job. In fact, the fertility Fitbit comes with approximately a 90 percent accuracy rate.
The year-one study, which included 41 women, carried out at the University Hospital of Zurich in Switzerland, found it was 89 percent accurate at predicting their most fertile five days each month.
A photo posted by AvaWomen (@avawomen) on
How does it work?
You need to wear Ava at night, then take it off and send the data to your phone. Ava then figures out the five days you are most fertile. The rest is up to you. Well, and your partner.
Ava launched last year and is currently available in Europe and the US for $199 USD. However, we can expect Ava to be coming to Australia in the near future, especially as the product is being snapped quite quickly!
Time to make a baby
As for any couple who have had trouble trying to conceive, this new gadget could take the stress, frustration and disappointment out of trying to have a baby.
However, critics have also suggested that Ava could actually lead to more stress and disappointment, especially, if, even with Ava’s help, conception doesn’t occur.
Many couples struggle with infertility. Have a look at our tips on dealing with infertility and preparing for the IVF route.
The Healthy Mummy Pregnancy range
Did you know we have a Healthy Mummy Pregnancy Smoothie and a gorgeous Pregnancy Eating & Exercising Book?
Pregnant women need additional calories and nutrients in pregnancy and our Pregnancy Smoothie and Eating & Exercise Book have been specially formulated to help women reach these additional calorie and nutrient needs.
The Healthy Mummy Pregnancy Smoothie is designed to complement, not replace, your prenatal vitamin intake. Our nutritionists ensured that the vitamins and minerals in the smoothie are at a low level so there is no risk of doubling up on any pregnancy vitamins.
It is ideal as a high-protein, high-calcium snack in pregnancy. You can download the Pregnancy Smoothie Label here
About The Pregnancy Smoothie
The Healthy Mummy Pregnancy Smoothie is a convenient and easy supplementary food, designed to complement your existing pregnancy vitamins or supplements, to help you meet the extra protein, vitamin and mineral requirements during your pregnancy.
Please read below for all the information on the smoothie – you can also see the FAQ on the smoothie here.
The pregnancy smoothie is also free of all chemicals, fillers and artificial ingredients, has no fructose in, no added sugar and uses high quality dairy protein sourced from grass fed cows in New Zealand.
How Can The Pregnancy Smoothie Help?
- HEALTHY INCREASED CALORIES – Additional nutrients and calories are needed in pregnancy to support the mum and the baby – and the smoothie is a convenient and tasty way to increase your calories in pregnancy whilst nourishing your body.
- MORNING SICKNESS – If you are suffering from morning sickness and find eating food difficult – the smoothie is a great way to nourish your body with a easy to drink smoothie- it also contains ginger.
- TIREDNESS – If you are feeling exhausted, the smoothie is a nutrient dense snack high in protein, B vitamins and low constipation iron to help keep energy levels up.
- CONVENIENT- if you are struggling to find the time or energy to eat nutrient dense and healthy foods then the smoothie will be a great help. You could also have it as a quick breakfast by adding fruit, oats and vegetables to your smoothie to further increase calories.
- PROTEIN & CALCIUM – It is ideal as a high-protein, high-calcium snack in pregnancy with each smoothie giving you 30% of your protein needs
Nourish Your Body In Pregnancy
During pregnancy the nutritional demands on your body are greater in support of the growing baby along with alterations in maternal tissues and metabolism. The requirements of protein and nutrients, particularly folate, iodine, calcium, iron and zinc are higher.
During the second and third trimester additional protein is required for the growth of foetal, placental and maternal tissues, and estimated energy requirements are also higher.
Key Nutrients Needed For Pregnancy
The Healthy Mummy Pregnancy Smoothie provides a Good Source of Vitamins & Minerals – providing extra nutrition, including protein, vitamins & minerals for expectant mums
- Folate – contributes to maternal tissue growth during pregnancy. Consumption of at least 400mcg† per day, at least one month before & three months following conception may reduce the risk of fetal neural tube defects
- Vitamin B12 – necessary for normal cell division, neurological structure & function, & contributes to normal blood formation, which are important processes during pregnancy
- Calcium – necessary for normal teeth, bone structure, important for baby’s development
- Iodine, Phosphorous, Vitamin D & Vitamin B12 – contribute to normal growth & development, including that of the baby
- Vitamin C, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Folate & Iron– contributes to the reduction of tiredness & fatigue, symptoms often experienced by expectant mums
- Protein – necessary for tissue building & repair, normal growth & development of bone & contributes to the growth of muscle mass
- Probiotics – contribute to gastrointestinal health & the maintenance of beneficial gastrointestinal microflora, which can benefit pregnant women
- Fibre – aids in regular bowel motions, which can become irregular during pregnancy.
You can download the Pregnancy Smoothie Label here.
What Do The Experts Say?
Ali Pickes, Midwife says:
“The Smoothie is an easy, convenient way for mums to intake the essential vitamins required to assist pregnancy. The Healthy Mummy Pregnancy Smoothie contains Folate, Vitamin B12, Calcium, Vitamin D, Iodine, Vitamin C, Protein, Probiotics, Fibre and many more nutrients important in pregnancy.
These are all vitamins and minerals that pregnant women require but can struggle to consume. Having a Healthy Mummy Pregnancy Smoothie is an easy way to give you energy and help you glow.
The Healthy Mummy Pregnancy Smoothie is not a meal replacement but an ideal snack to compliment pregnancy supplements. Having easy accessible snacks on hand when you are pregnant can assist acid build up or reflux, a common complaint in pregnancy. It assists by helping your digestive system to process smaller meals rather than larger meals, which are harder to digest.”
Cheree Sheldon, Nutritionist says:
“As pregnancy is one of my special passions, I was eager to see the new Healthy Mummy Pregnancy Smoothie. After studying the ingredients I would not hesitate to recommend it to my clients. In fact, I would probably prescribe it!
It has such a nice formula, with about 100 calories per serve (not including ingredients you combine it with), it is a perfect size for a snack. Protein content is important in a pregnancy Smoothie, as from pre-conception, through to after baby arrives, it is required in higher amounts, and this provides a really good amount of protein, with 30% of your daily intake per serve.
Normally, I don’t encourage people to have a pre-made smoothie as they are sugar laden, or full of fillers and chemicals, but The Healthy Mummy Pregnancy Smoothie has no artificial colours or preservatives and is not GMO. As it is sweetened with thuamatin, a natural sweetener from fruit, it is not artificially sweetened and has no sugar, or fructose, so will not have a negative impact on your blood sugars.”