Children with ADHD may find they feel easily distracted by noises around them, which can sometimes sound loud or cause ringing in the ear, making it hard for them to concentrate.
However, experts believe the use of white noise being played in the background may help block out these distractions and help those with ADHD to focus.
Experts believe white noise can help children with ADHD focus
A study, which was published in the Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, found that white noise may help children with ADHD pay attention when it comes to a number of activities, including homework.
This study also found that when children with ADHD are exposed to white noise, they perform better on memory tests.
In another study, children with and without ADHD were asked to perform tasks while listening to white noise.
Experts found that ‘‘white noise exposure led to significant improvements for both non-medicated and medicated ADHD children” and ”exposure to white noise resulted in a task improvement that was larger than the one with stimulant medication.’’
What is white noise?
Noise is referred to as white when it has the same intensity at every frequency.
For most people, this noise blends into the background but for those with ADHD, it can mask any auditory distractions.
White noise can be produced by electric fans, television static, a vacuum, washing machine or hairdryer as well as the sound of the wind, water or light rainfall.
Pink noise is a lower frequency to white noise and considered more soothing.
White and pink noise are sometimes both used to help babies fall asleep.
More about ADHD
According to Better Health, “Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a particular condition that affects a young child’s behaviour or development (learning).
“Many children with ADHD say they do not understand why they sometimes feel out of control or very lonely. ADHD is not the child’s fault. We do not know exactly what causes ADHD.”
Children with ADHD have these symptoms:
- Inattention – difficulty concentrating, forgetting instructions, moving from one task to another without completing anything.
- Impulsivity – talking over the top of others, having a ‘short fuse’, being accident prone.
- Overactivity – constant restlessness and fidgeting.
If you believe your child may have ADHD or want any more advice on the disorder, we advise you take them to see a GP.
For more information on kids health, click here.
Our Healthy Kids Smoothie
The Healthy Kids Smoothies have been specially made as a healthy snack for kids and are ideal if you have fussy eaters or want to ensure your children have a nutritious and healthy smoothie snack. It also has a 4.5 Health Star Rating when made with skim milk. It contains NO added sugars.
The sugar content in The Healthy Kids Smoothie is from NATURAL sugars from the lactose in the milk and is FREE from added sugars. WHO recommend aiming for 5% added sugars in the diet and this product provides NO added sugar.
- The Healthy Mummy Kids Smoothie is rich in carbohydrates and protein and is a natural energy packed smoothie made for kids.
- It contains 16 essential vitamins and minerals and when combined with milk, provides children with 50% of their Calcium RDI.
- It also contains probiotics needed for healthy guts.
What do you need to know about The Healthy Kids Smoothie
- It is a nutritious snack made for kids
- It contains probiotics
- It contains 16 Vitamins and minerals
- It contains NO artificial colours, sweeteners, flavours, preservatives or MSG in the product
- It is rich in protein
- It contains NO added sugar
- It contains 16 Vitamins and minerals – when combined with milk
The product contains dairy (the base of the smoothie) and a small amount of soy (within d-alpha-tocopherol).
The product does not contain any ingredients derived from gluten, fish, eggs, nuts or sulphites. However, the factory in which the product is made does store and manufacture these products but they are not produced on the same line.