We are ALL perfect mums, until we have children. It’s a safe bet that most women would have a list of things that they thought they would or wouldn’t do once they had kids.
Truth be told, it’s easy to say such things when you’re on the sidelines and not actually in the game trying to parent an army of little people that you created!
Once you have children you realise that the perfect parents only exists in a land where unicorns frolic, babies never cry and children always sleep through the night and wake up happy.
What we said about parenting before we became mums:
1. My children will NEVER eat junk food
For some peace and quiet you’ll do almost anything, including buying them fries to dip in their ice-cream.
2. If they don’t like it then tough they’ll starve
But then you get the guilts and offer them something else because you can’t stand the thought of your child going hungry.
3. I’m not going to change my lifestyle just because I have a baby
Unless you have a nanny, a chef, a housecleaner and a personal trainer, you end up changing the way you live and usually don’t mind it that much. Well as long as you get to escape every now and then.
4. Having a baby won’t stop me from travelling
Sure it will because you’ll be worried about logistics, safety and the 316 baby items you need to take with you on a five-minute drive.
5. There will be only one prize in pass the parcel at my child’s birthday party
No there won’t because you’ll feel bad for all those gorgeous kids with big eager eyes waiting for a lolly or small toy.
6. I’ll take my kids to the park every day, it’s so easy
Yes it’s easy to visit the park, without kids, but you have to make sure it has a toilet, somewhere to change the baby and shade. Usually it’s easier to just stay home and let them run amok in the backyard.
7. My children won’t be watching TV until they are two
I was told the TV was like a strobe light for babies so my first child never watched anything but Baby Einstein. Well until she wouldn’t eat food at six months and I used it to distract her while I shoved spoons of food in her mouth.
8. There is no way my children will be that rude
Actually your 5-year-old will poke out their tongue at a nice old lady for no reason and you won’t see it. This will happen A LOT.
9. I certainly won’t talk to my kids like that
Yes you will because you will have had a gutful of their attitude and behaviour and sometimes all you can do is get mad, like when cereal is dropped on your freshly-mopped floor. Snarl.
10. I will not let my kids take over my whole life
Yeah you will, they are defenceless for YEARS and so they are your life from now on. Every move you make, every step you take, they’ll be watching.
11. There’s no way I’m putting my young kids in day care
For some sanity you will and you will love it so much you will stare at the clock hoping it slows down so you can have more kid-free time.
12. My children won’t sleep in my bed, I’ll make sure of it
Some nights you just can’t be effed taking them back to their own bed for the 14th time and you will let them sleep in your bed and all over you. Then you’ll probably do it again the next night.
13. I’m going to limit screen time to just one hour a week
As if, it’s the cheapest babysitter in the world and means the kids aren’t running feral around the house and they aren’t fighting. You also justify screen time by making them watch or play educational things.
What was something that you thought you’d never do as a parent but now do on a daily or weekly basis?
Get our Healthy Kids Smoothie today!
The Healthy Kids Smoothie has been specially made as a healthy snack for kids and is ideal if you have fussy eaters or want to ensure your children have a nutritious and healthy smoothie snack. It also has a 4.5 Health Star Rating when made with skim milk. Plus it contains NO added sugars.
The sugar content in The Healthy Kids Smoothie is from NATURAL sugars from the lactose in the milk and is FREE from added sugars. WHO recommend aiming for 5% added sugars in the diet and this product provides NO added sugar
- The Healthy Mummy Kids Smoothie is rich in carbohydrates and protein and is a natural energy packed smoothie made for kids.
- It contains 16 essential vitamins and minerals and when combined with milk, provides children with 50% of their Calcium RDI.
- It also contains probiotics needed for healthy guts and is free from fructose.
GET YOUR HEALTHY KIDS SMOOTHIE TUB HERE!