If you have a dog then you need to read this – and I have 2 so I was SUPER keen to read it as my two are ALWAYS trying to eat scraps when I am making food for the family – and I was especially shocked to learn that grapes are dangerous for them.
A group of vets in the UK from Battersea Dogs and Cats Home have warned dog owners about feeding them common foods that can prove very harmful.
So let’s take a look at the foods you need to ensure your dog doesn’t eat…..
Onions, garlic and chives
The onion family, whether dry, raw or cooked, is particularly toxic to dogs and can cause gastrointestinal irritation and red blood cell damage.
Signs of illness are not always immediately obvious and can occur up to a few days later.
The popular fruit, native to the Americas, contains a substance called persin which can cause vomiting and diarrhoea in canines.
The substance not only causes intoxication as it does in humans, but it can lead to sickness, diarrhoea and even central nervous system damage in dogs.
Corn of the cob
Despite the fact that corn is regular digested by dogs, experts believe that that the cob can cause a blockage in your dog’s intestine.
Chocolate is just as tempting to dogs as it is humans.
But beware, the sweet treat can be very harmful to our furry friends.
This is because chocolate contains a stimulant called theobromine which is toxic to dogs and can cause kidney failure.
Macadamia nuts contain a toxin that can affect your dog’s muscles and nervous system resulting in weakness, swollen limbs and panting.
Artificial sweetener (xylitol)
Sweet treats, chewing gum and sugar-free drinks often include an artificial sweetener called xylitol.
The sweetener is sometimes found in peanut butter, so it’s important to check the label before using this as a treat.
If your dog digests one of these sweetened foods, they can go into hypoglycaemia which is linked to liver failure and blood clotting disorders.
Grapes and raisins
Raisins are in many of the foods that we love to eat such as cakes, biscuits and cereals and can be more harmful to our dogs than we realise.
Although the active ingredient which causes the toxin is unknown, both grapes and raisins can cause severe liver damage and kidney failure.
Giving your dog a raw uncooked bone to chew on is great, but avoid cooked bones at all costs.
These can easily splinter and in large quantities cause constipation or at worst, a perforation of the gut which can be fatal.
If there are any more you know of please let us know!