The Healthy Mummy is all about budget, and helping mums save money by meal prepping and planning from the Healthy Mummy App, as well as offering heaps of money saving advice and tips.
Groceries continue to be one of our biggest expenses, particularly at the moment with supermarket prices on the rise and fluctuating week to week. So we’ve taken out the guess work, pounded the pavement and filled our baskets to compare dockets. Who will come out on top for each of the basics? Will it be Woolworths, Aldi or Coles IGA or Foodworks?
Previously we looked at this same grocery list in November 2016 and investigated prices at Coles, Woolworths and Aldi to see which chain offers the most savings. Today we have added in IGA and Foodworks for a more thorough Supermarket comparison.
This week (5th May 2022) The Healthy Mummy went shopping for you to see what major supermarket have the best prices for this week’s 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge. If you’re heading out to the shops this weekend, now you’ll know where the bargains are!
Let’s start with a favourite:
Cheapest 100 g block to be found at Woolies on special for $2.50. But better value at Aldi for a 200 g block at $2.99!
- Woolworths: Frey Swiss Dark Choc special 100 g – $2.50, compared to Cadbury Coco 70% Dark Chocolate 100g – $2.50
- Aldi: Choceur Dark choc 200 g size – $2.99, compared to Moser Roth 70%, 85% or Sea Salt 125g – $2.79. Nice to see no shrinkflation here!
- Coles Lindt Excellence Dark Choc 100 g $5.00, compared to Coles Cadbury Coco 70% Dark Chocolate 100g – $4.40
- IGA: Lindt Excellence Dark 100 g special – $4.59
- Foodworks: Green and Black Smooth Dark Chocolate 70% 90 g- $4.98
A surprise with best deal at Coles and biggest increase at Aldi with a whopping 251%!
- Woolworths: Fresh Strawberries 250g – $5.00, compared to $3.90 in 2016
- Aldi: Fresh Strawberries 250g – $6.99, up by $5.00!
- Coles: Fresh Strawberries 250g – $4.90, compared to $3.00 last shop
- IGA: Fresh Strawberries 250g – $5.99
- Foodworks: Strawberries 250g – $7.99
Best buy at Aldi for $3.49
- Woolworths: Own brand Natural Greek 1 kg – $3.90, not comparable to last buy as used Tamar Valley brand.
- Aldi: Lyttos Greek Style 1 kg – $3.49, cheaper than 2016 by $0.20!
- Coles brand Greek Yoghurt 1kg – $3.90 – not comparable to last buy as used Tamar Valley brand.
- IGA: Farmers Union Greek Style 1 kg – $6.00
- Foodworks: Farmers Union Greek Style 1 kilo $6.00
Best deal at Coles for their own brand Pink Salmon at $3.45.
- Woolworths: Paramount 210g Pink Salmon special – $4.00, compared to John West Red Salmon 210g – $6.99
- Aldi: Ocean Rise Premium Red Salmon 210g – $5.19, compared to $3.99 in 2016. Up by 30%
- Coles: own brand pink salmon 210g – $3.45, compared to last shop, which was John West for $7.67
- IGA: John West Pink Salmon 210 g – $7.06
- Foodworks: John West Pink Salmon 105g – $3.75 x 2
Best buy at Aldi for $1.39. Increases not comparable as looking two different types and differing seasons
- Woolworths – $1.60 each
- Aldi – $1.39 each
- Coles – $1.50 each
- IGA: – $2.49 each
- Foodworks: – $2.49 each
Best buy at Aldi!
- Woolworths: Black plum 1 kg $4.50
- Aldi: Plums 1 kg – $3.99
- Coles: Plums 1 kg – $4.50
- Foodworks: N/A
Free range chicken breast
Fair saving at Aldi at $11.49. 60% less than IGA’s per kg price
- Woolworths: Macro 1 kg – $16.00, same rice as 2106
- Coles: Lilydale freerange – $16.00/kg, interestingly 0.99 c less than 2016 price of $16.99
- Aldi: Willowton Free Range breast 1 kg – $11.49, compared to Willowton 1 kg $13.99/kg in 2016.
- IGA: Lilydale free range 1 kg – $18.49
- Foodworks:Breast Fillet Tray 500 g $11.10
- Woolies: $37.50
- Coles: $39.25
- Aldi: $35.53
- IGA: $44.62 (and they didn’t have plums so not an apples for apples comparison)
- Foodworks: $51.16 ( and they didn’t have plums so not an apples for apples comparison)
It comes as no surprise that Aldi once again often has the cheapest groceries for 5 out of our 7 products. Not to say there weren’t a few surprises there with Coles on top for Salmon and Aldi having the most expensive strawberries! Thanks to those strawberries and slightly higher priced salmon Aldi was only a few dollars behind Woolworths overall meaning the total savings were minimal.
Till next time! Happy bargain hunting…
Save money with 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge – and learn how to make healthy meals on a budget!
If you want to improve your overall health and wellbeing but don’t have the budget for a gym membership or fancy pre-made healthy meals – our 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge is an awesome program to check out.
- 28 days of at home exercise routines (no gym needed) – with video instruction
- Customisable and breastfeeding friendly meal plans
- Time-efficient exercises for busy mums – under 30 mins
- Challenge combines Pilates exercises with interval and circuit training (HIIT)
- Suitable for basic to advanced fitness levels
- Home to thousands of EASY-TO-MAKE recipes!
To learn more about our 28 DAY WEIGHT LOSS CHALLENGE CLICK HERE.
The Healthy Mummy App can help!
The new Healthy Mummy 28 Day Weight Loss Challenge App is an AWESOME tool for meal planning on a budget.
You can select the option to find ‘budget friendly’ meals in the Healthy Mummy App (as shown in the image below), and you can also filter the recipes you see to cater for dietary requirements, such as gluten free, nut free or vegetarian.